Saturday, July 10, 2010

Owlie Longies

Call me crazy, but I think I like these even more than the owl skirty. I don't know what it is... maybe it's the extra stripes and polka dots... maybe it's that the polka dots are getting slightly easier, but I really REALLY like how these turned out. Also, I was smart and charted the owls instead of winging it. I didn't have the fabric handy so I got they eyes wrong on the little owls, but they're still cute, and I think look better than the first ones. I might actually get to like making this one!

These are made with my favorite yarn, Berroco Ultra Alpaca as the main color and also the brown. If I'd waited a couple more days to start them, I would have had the perfect green too, but I wasn't sure it would be perfect, and I had close enough on hand. The green is Cascade 220 superwash. Not quite as beautiful and soft as the others, but still very nice.

The hot pink is my new most favorite yarn EVER! It's Aurora 8 by Karabella. It's SO SOFT! It's an 8 ply, 100% merino wool but the way it's spun it feels like cashmere, only not fuzzy. It's also non-felting, but not superwash. I suspect it wouldn't even pill. I got no fuzz off it at all, even when I had to pull out some of the embroidery. That usually gets fuzz off of any yarn. SO PRETTY!!! It's almost as soft as the alpaca blend, but springier and has a beautiful sheen. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd want to make ALL my soakers out of it. Unfortunately, it's almost twice as much as the alpaca. I guess that's why they call them "luxury"... not everyone can afford them.

No comments: