Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sock Monkey Skirty - A New Beginning


I just have to say that I'm so grateful to my sister Suzie for starting me down the exciting and wonderful road of soaker knitting! As my very first soaker project, I learned a lot about myself as a knitter. I learned that I'm much better at improvising and designing with knit than with crochet. Case in point, the sock monkey skirty.

Suzie found a pic of a skirty that she loved and I figured I could probably figure out how to do it. I'm smart! Even though I don't necessarily have a lot of knitting experience, I had mastered knit and purl, how hard could the rest of it be? We searched and searched, and Suzie found the PERFECT sock monkey yarn (imho) and I took it with me up to my husband's grandmother's house when we went for a weekend for our church's general conference. The kids were occupied with all the other children there and we were watching the conference on TV. It's the PERFECT time for a knit or crochet project. As wonderful and inspiring as the general authorities of the church are, they're more interesting to listen to than to watch. So I set to work, and by the time the conference was over, I was all but finished with my first sock monkey skirty. I felt like a kid who's just learned to ride a bike! It's exhilarating to finish a project, especially one that you have no idea how it's going to turn out! Such an accomplishment!

So I took it home and put it on my beautiful niece Addy, and it's been a big hit ever since. I personally loved it so much that I had to make a matching halter to go with it. She still gets lots of compliments every time she wears it. It's gone through some major overhauls since I first made it. It's gotten lots of improvements, but I'm still very proud of and pleased with the first one :).

No comments: